Fare Share.

'Wewe Madam hapo nyuma nitakutisha fare mara ngapi?'

I looked behind me and there was a young lady who was trying to frantically call someone.

'Nakutumia saa hii,huyu hashiki simu'

I was at Bluepost heading to Thika town. The young lady had a child in her arms and a medium-sized black bag. The baby was crying too.I think the child sensed that the mom was very stressed. I didn't look at her again since I did not want her to feel even more uncomfortable because almost everyone was looking back.

The matatu was quiet and you could her hear try to call but no one was picking her calls. From Bluepost to town is less than ten minutes. We reached the stage and the lady had not paid yet. The conductor kept shouting at her and asking her why she boarded if she did not have any money to pay. I understand the conductor is at work and he has to be paid. I understand that perfectly.

The lady said that there was someone who had promised to send her money but he wasn't picking up her calls. I felt sorry for her. She looked tired, the kid kept crying and she had nothing. A guy offered to pay her fare. Another lady also pleaded with us to give her whatever little we had to help her reach wherever she was going. At this point, we all became interested in knowing what was going on with her.

She was coming to Thika as a house help and she didn't want to ask her employer to be for money. She only had enough to reach her at Bluepost but since she was new she thought she would walk to town where her employer would pick her up. The person who was supposed to send her money was her partner, the father of her child.

People gave her what they had and even offered to take her to the Tuktuk stage where she would head to the meeting point. I hope wherever she is, she is doing alright. Life is crazy like that.And i am sure she felt relieved when people extended a helping hand..



Comments

Popular Posts