Book Series;Book 1.

Photo by Bilakis: https://www.pexels.com/photo/close-up-photo-of-open-book-4069090/.

 I am starting something exciting.
I will be writing my book reviews here! I have like ten reviews on Goodreads and I will not be doing that anymore. I read at least one book a month and I also started reading hardcover books and I am genuinely elated to write about my books.

I like books that teach me a thing or two. I call them the 'Why' books. I find myself looking for those over and over again and that confirms the fact that they are the ones for me.

My friends call them weird books😂😂and by now they are used to it. They actually love them because they are just different(reminds me of the saying just be yourself, your people will come around and oh they have).

I also read other genres, I will be writing about them too but my book series is a bit particular, just bear with me.

My book this month was a soft copy. I started it mid-May but finished the bulk of the book these past five days of June.

My book of the month was a short poetry book called Teaching My Mother How To Give

Birth by Warsan Shire.

I told you, a really different one.

I collect recommendations from people and this particular one was from a U.K bookstore owner I follow on Instagram.

The book is quite short,35 pages but the poems are heavy, really heavy.

A little about the poet.

Warsan Shire is a Somali British writer who was born in Nairobi but raised in London. She uses her poems as a medium to talk about issues that people choose to be silent about.

In her book, she touches on themes of Islamic culture, chastity, war, immigration, family dynamics, modernity, and feminism. There are a total of 20 short but powerful poems. In all the poems, it was a bit hard to choose a favorite since they all touched on different themes.
I had to choose one and the one I settled on was the last page.

In Love and In War.
To my daughter, I will say, 
‘when the men come, set yourself on fire’.
The two lines in that poem say it all.




Comments

Popular Posts